Saturday, December 29, 2012

Every year when I was young my Grandma would make the Snowball Cookies shown in the image above for Christmas, so they hold a special place in my heart. I was apprehensive to try them at first for that reason but, believe it or not, they were relatively easy to make and came out as almost good as I remembered. (I think Gram's secret ingredient was love. God bless you, Gram.) Since posting this image on my Facebook page I've had several folks ask for the recipe, so here it is~

Grandma Harriet's Snowball Cookies

2 cups flour
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened. (I soften the butter on my wood stove, but you can use a microwave or    simply let it sit out on your counter.
1 teaspoon vanilla (I use just a tad more. Personal preference.)
Powdered sugar

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine all ingredients (except powdered sugar) in a large bowl. Beat on low until mixed.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 18 to 25 minutes or until light brown.

Cool 5 minutes. Roll in sugar and let them finish cooling.

The powdered sugar kinda melts and has an almost sticky texture while the cookie remains softly crunchy and nutty. They're one of my absolute favorites. I hope you enjoy them as well.

By the way, my Mom was famous for her Peanut Butter Blossoms, also shown in the image above. There are a lot of different recipes out there for these, but if you're interested in the recipe I like best as well, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment